Did you know that Minnesota Zoo weddings were a thing? Yup, and they offer great spaces for both wedding ceremonies and wedding receptions. The cool thing about having your wedding at the Minnesota Zoo is that you can still go the traditional looking wedding route in spaces like the Call of the Wild room with its giant windows overlooking the lake. If you want a more non-traditional space you can opt for Discovery Bay which offers an awesome sea-themed setting. For Minnesota winter weddings I’d highly recommend utilizing the Tropics area with its warm and lush spaces. The tropical setting will keep your guests nice and cozy and feeling like they are at a destination wedding thousands of miles away.
Minnesota Zoo Wedding Venue Information:
Below is a list of detailed pricing information along with the most frequently asked questions when inquiring about having your own wedding at the Minnesota Zoo.
Room Rental Pricing & Detailed Information:
- Tropics Ceremony & Call of the Wild Reception: – $2,950 covers room rental and ceremony fee. Food and beverage minimum also applies and can vary by night of the week and season. Typical range for your food & beverage minimum will be between $3,000-$6,000. The Tropics ceremony area can host up to 150 people for a wedding ceremony. The Call of the Wild Room can host up to and 275 people for a wedding reception.
- Tropics Ceremony & Discovery Bay Reception: – $3,750 covers room rental and ceremony fee. Food and beverage minimum also applies and can vary by night of the week and season. Typical range for your food & beverage minimum will be between $3,000-$6,000. The Tropics ceremony area can host up to 150 people for a wedding ceremony. Discovery Bay can host up to 240 people for a wedding reception.
- Discovery Bay Reception Only: – $2,200 covers room rental. Food and beverage minimum also applies and can vary by night of the week and season. Typical range for your food & beverage minimum will be between $3,000-$6,000. Discovery Bay can host up to 240 people for a wedding reception.
Minnesota Zoo Wedding FAQ:
- Can you use your own caterer?
No, the Minnesota Zoo has an exclusive partnership with Lancer Catering who offers full food, beverage, and staffing options. Lancer is flexible so you can customize for your unique event. For deserts, Lancer partners with Buttercream Bakery. You can however bring in your own deserts and wedding cakes. Lancer will charge a fee of $2 per person for cake cuttings outside of their Buttercream offerings. Do keep in mind that all outside deserts need to come from a licensed bakery.
- Can we take wedding photos and access all areas of the zoo on our wedding day?
No, all weddings and events are held after hours when the zoo is closed so you will only have access to the specific areas that you booked.
- Can we have alcohol?
Yes, but it must be provided and served by Lancer catering. Any outside alcohol is against zoo policy and will be confiscated.
- How much is the deposit?
50% of the rental fee is due within 2 weeks of the time of booking. 25% of the food & beverage minimum is due within two weeks of booking as well. Another 25% of the food & beverage is due 6 months prior to your wedding date. The final 50% of the rental fee is the day of the wedding and all deposits are non-refundable.
- Can we bring our own entertainment?
Yes, DJ’s and bands (up to 8 band members) are allowed in the Call of the Wild space. The Tropics Trail area does not allow for loud music or dancing due to the protection of the animals. Lighting is also allowed but you cannot bring in any lasers, cop lights, strobes or fog/bubble machines.
- Can we decorate ourselves?
Yes, but there are some limitations. All flowers must come from licensed florists. All of your decorations will need to be signed off on by your Minnesota Zoo representative prior to your wedding.
- Is security provided?
Yes, it is provided by the zoo as long as you are not serving alcohol. If you are serving alcohol the zoo will hire an Apple Valley police officer for you at an additional charge. Contact your rep for exact fee amount.
- How far in advance do we need to book?
There is not limit to the time you can book in advance. Book as soon as possible as the best dates can go very quickly.
For more specific and finer details please reach out to the zoo directly using the information below and be sure to schedule a tour of the spaces before booking.
Weddings & Events
13000 Zoo Boulevard
Apple Valley, MN 55124
As a Minneapolis Wedding Photographer I enjoy shooting at this awesome Twin Cities wedding venue. What’s not to love about having your wedding at the Minnesota Zoo?! To see more of my work follow along to my Weddings Page. Cheers!